zondag 18 september 2011

Me and the Hire Car Tyrrany

Being here in Finland, my parents want to visit me at some point. And as I know my way around here a tiny bit better I offered to pick them up at the airport and drive them here. Dad already hired the car and I was ready to pick it up when my parents would arrive (not in a months time, don't worry). Yet once again some absolute monarch at bloody Europcar decided that a drivers license does not count when you are young. Sounds strange doesn't it? Let me explain.
What the hirecar mob does is completely and utterly irrelevant: they put up an age limit to drive a hire car. Experience? Not needed. Capability? Neither. Any form of eyesight? Why would you?

In theory, and in this stupid practice, John who is 20 years old and got his drivers license yesterday is allowed to pick up his car with a nasty dent on the boot and drive of. Despite having ONE day of driving experience for the law. Barry, who is 19 years and 300 days old and who has his license for nearly two years gets rejected because of his age. Surely that'll make the roads safer? The reason that my insurance costs less than John's is because of experience, the reason that John is more likely to get into an accident is his lack of experience. Why does this get ignored if young drivers are always seen as a risk?

I was especially surprised to encounter this in Finland, where the average age for one's first driving experience is at 4,3 years old. That I got rejected in Portugal previously was no surprise to me, as they hate the Dutch (seen any Euro Championship?), but surely the Finns must have some clever training program for future Rally champions that works with hire cars? Otherwise Raikkonen and Grönholm were your last champions I think.

When you read this, Europcar, I hope a young driver crashes into your office hidden somewhere in a mountain in France. Or otherwise into your pathetic cycling team, Thomas Voeckler is an enormous #$%@^&*($#!
Meanwhile I am going to do some Rally stages with the hire car, try to find me, I am near that Finnish lake.

1 opmerking:

  1. Not Europecar but Economy Car Rentals.com is the company.
    Ere wie ere toekomt

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen