donderdag 22 september 2011

Lexus? What is your commercial about?



Above is the newest commercial from Lexus. Yes indeed, apparently it is a car commercial, not Dr. Phil like the first 25 seconds of the commercial might let you think. Nor is it some MTV series about some girl you don't know, if you watch closely you might even see the car in it! Everything about the commercial is not Lexus, not that I know what 'Lexusness' is, but at no moment this commercial seems to appeal to the/a Lexus driver. Mainly because the driver only features for 1,5 second. Let me carefully analyse this marketing marvel.


*Pop!*
Shot one: Girl chewing gum and being busy with her Black Berry, this commercial could be about anything. When I first saw this I thought it was another commercial about some girls thing like lipstick or 'accessories', so I lost interest. Yet I kept seeing it so it got on my nerves, hence the blogpost.

"So Catherine, tell me about your week." 
Then a manly voice comes in, apparently he is not the father as he asks how the girl's week was. Naive idiot. But hey, he's a psychiatrist so he makes money asking naive questions. Following this is a tsunami of complaints from the girls' side, and that is where Lexus really loses it.

"So my week was terrible [...] Well I am green and he (Father-person) knows it, and he bought this Lexus RX"
After nagging on how bad her week was, she mentions what car her father bought. Several mistakes in this sentence. 
1. The girl's week is mainly determined by her father's new car, which is impossible, how can something that is not yours bother you for a whole week?
2. Her dad bought the car, which technically means the teenage girl should be totally indifferent about the whole issue.
3. It's a girl, girls don't know cars come in different types, cars only exist in different colours to them. 

"The RX 450?"
-"Yeah..."
"The Full Hybrid?"
-"Duh..." 

Somehow the commercial turns into a motoring program, carefully mentioning technical details. Lexus completely blows it on above mentioned mistake #3 as the girl seems to recall the engine size and special hybrid feature of Satan's newest tool of mobility. Also she mentions it is a hybrid and green, contrasting the point of her rant about the planet.

"Well what's wrong with that?"
-"Like totally nothing. Can't you see my problem?" 
Psychiatrist guy is with me on that one. You are green, the car is a hybrid, what are you on about?
Luckily Lexus takes us back to step 1 again. All up to know has basically been useless spam about nothing. We now know you're trying to sell A car (we still haven't seen it) which is a hybrid and that drives teenage girls mad. It must be brilliant then, right?


After this we see the girl get in the car, rant some more at her dad who drives of with a smile of utter smugness on his face. Also we finally see the car, wohee! In a cheap computer animation it seems, no psychiatrist's office in the world looks like that. 


So, did it convince you to buy it? Me neither, as I have barely an idea what the car looks like. I don't know how it drives, what it costs, how many people will fit in or how it looks from the front or the back. I do know that this is the car commercial with the least car in it of all times, can someone from the advertising agency tell me how you can sell something by barely showing it?

1 opmerking:

  1. I just dry heaved a bit... mainly because of the shoddy acting.
    They just don't make car adverts like they used to.

    P.s I can't help it if I only like blue cars. Mainly because there all pretty and blue and stuff... :P

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen